non-resident LL with a UK rental property


ou’ve got most of it right! Here’s a breakdown of the SDLT situation for your scenario:

  • Non-Resident Surcharge (2%): This applies as you’re currently a non-resident landlord.
  • Main Residence Replacement Relief: You’re on the right track about potentially avoiding the additional 3% surcharge for non-residents buying additional properties (second homes). This relief applies if you’re selling your main residence abroad (France in your case) and buying a new main residence in the UK.

Here’s what you need to consider to qualify for Main Residence Replacement Relief:

  • Selling Your Main Residence: You must have sold (or be in the process of selling) your main residence abroad before purchasing the new one in the UK.
  • Timeframe: There’s a timeframe to claim this relief. You typically have 3 months before or 12 months after buying the new UK property to sell your existing main residence.

Resources and Next Steps:

  • For the official information on Main Residence Replacement Relief, you can refer to the UK government website:
  • It’s advisable to consult with a tax advisor specializing in property transactions. They can assess your specific situation and confirm eligibility for the relief. This ensures you navigate the process smoothly and claim any applicable reliefs.

Read more

Local News